We enjoy many varied wine events in London Branch. This month we were privileged to have the rare opportunity of participating in a horizontal tasting of wines from the finest Bordeaux châteaux, vintage 1995, for the provision of which we were most grateful to member Lancelot Jaundoo. These are the wines we tasted. They were all wonderful, still showing some tannins, structured and balanced. Here is the list:
- Château Troplong Mondot – St Emilion Grand Cru (in 1995 – promoted to Premier Grand Cru Classé in the reclassification on St Emilion wines in 2006)
- Château La Conseillante – Pomerol
- Vieux Château Certan – Pomerol – the third Right Bank wine.
Moving to the Left Bank:
- Château Pape Clément – Pessac-Léognan Cru Classé de Graves
- Château Léoville Poyferré – St Julien 2ème Cru Classé
- Château Rauzan-Ségla – Margaux, 2ème Cru Classé
These first six wines were all brilliant. The final three were just stunning – powerful and massive:
- Les Forts de Latour – Pauillac
- Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande – Pauillac 2ème Cru Classé
- Château Lafite Rothschild – Pauillac Premier Cru Classé
What a splendidly exceptional tasting!