An interesting and unusal tasting, organised and presented by Dr Bernard Lamb, National Guild of Wine and Beer Judges. It features grapes that are more commonly found in a very different context.
Pinot Gris is a colour mutant of Pinot Noir and has arisen many times. It is not very productive, with small bunches of small berries which are various shades of grey, from almost white to almost black. The examples here go from dry to the luscious sweetness of these two rare Alsace Vendanges Tardives (2000 and 1982), which improve in richness and complexity with age. The same grape is known in Italy as Pinot Grigio, although the style of wine produced there is generally very different.
Cabernet Franc probably comes from old Basque clones and was in Spain in the 12th century. It is a direct ancestor of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Carmenère. It is vigorous, with herbaceous notes when underripe. Its best European wines are from the Loire Valley, as here, with ones from Virginia achieving the best ripeness, with Barboursville the most famous maker. If you drink claret, you have probably tasted it blended with Merlot amd Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Bolney Estate Pinot Gris, 2020, Sussex, 11.5%. Dry.
- Greywacke Pinot Gris, 2018, Marlborough, New Zealand, 14.5%. Off-dry.
- ‘W’ Waimea Pinot Gris, 2021, Wine of Nelson, New Zealand, 13%. Medium sweet.
- Domaines Schlumberger Pinot Gris, Grand Cru Spiegel, Alsace, 2020, 13.5%. Medium sweet.
- Albert Mann Tokay Pinot Gris, Vendanges Tardives, Altenbourg, Alsace, 2000, 13.1%. 50 cl.
- Domaine Weinbach Tokay d’Alsace Clos des Capuchins, Vendanges Tardives, 1982, Théo Faller, Kaiserberg. 70 cl. No stated alcohol level.
- V. Catena Tinto Historico Cabernet Franc, 2018, San Carlos, Argentina, 13.5%.
- Lulu l’Alouette Saumur-Champigny, Loire Valley, 2019, 13.5%. Cabernet Franc.
- Barboursville Virginia Cabernet Franc Reserve, 2010, 14.5%.
- Barbourville Virginia Cabernet Franc Reserve, 2017, 13.5%.
A cold buffet supper will be provided by the Army and Navy Club
Venue: The Army and Navy Club, 36-39 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5JN
Time: 7 p.m.
Mobility rating: 3 – steps up to the front door, then lift access.
Nearest tube: Green Park.
Dress: smart casual.
Price per person: Members £59, Guests £65.
Organiser: Bernard Lamb
Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. 0208 876 0505
Bookings are closed for this event. Please contact the organiser for last-minute places.