Join us for a tasting of outstanding English still and sparkling wines, organised and led by an expert.
English sparkling wines now usually beat Champagnes (see Food & Wine) at a similar price level and are increasingly appreciated for their quality. What is less well known is that some English still wines are also of international standard, especially the oaked Chardonnay and Pinot Noir wines shown here which are very Burgundian in style. The sparkling wines are from well-known and very good lesser-known producers, including some interesting grape listings.
- Bolney Foxhole Vineyard Pinot Gris, 2014. Bolney, West Sussex. 11.5%
- Freedom of the Press, Chardonnay, 2020, Oxfordshire. Oaked. 13%. Fermented and aged in old French oak. Grapes from Crouch Valley, Essex. 11 months on lees with batonnage.
- Brightwell Vineyard, Pinot Noir, 2016, Wallingford, Oxfordshire. Oaked. 12%. Gently barrel-aged.
- Temple Sheen White Sweet, 2012.
- Meopham’s Wine of England Signature, Sparkling Wine, Meopham, Kent. Reichensteiner. 12%. 24 months on the lees. Dosage 10g/l. Residual sugar 10.9g/l. Total acidity 7.4g/l, pH 2.9.
- Chapel Down Vintage Reserve, Brut. English Regional Quality Sparkling Wine. Tenterden, Kent. 11.5%. Grapes (unspecified) from South East England.
- All Angels Classic Cuvée, 2014, Chardonnay 50%, Pinot Noir 28%, Pinot Gris 11%, Pinot Meunier, 11%, Enbourne, Berkshire. 12%. 6½ years on the lees. Made at Hattingley Valley.
- Ridgeview Bloomsbury NV, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier. Ditchling, Sussex. 12%.
- Hattingley Classic Reserve Brut, Chardonnay 53%, Pinot Noir 31%, Pinot Meunier 16%. 12%. Hattingley Valley, Hampshire.
- Alder Ridge Rosé, 2017, English Sparkling Wine, Pinot Noir 65%, Précoce 11%, Pinot Meunier 14%. Hungerford. 12%. Made at Hattingley Valley.
The tasting has been organised and will be presented by Dr Bernard Lamb, National Guild of Wine and Beer Judges,
A light buffet will be provided by the Club.
Venue: The Army and Navy Club, 36-39 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5JN
Time: 7 p.m.
Mobility rating: 3 – steps up to the front door, then lift access.
Nearest tube: Green Park.
Dress: smart casual.
Price per person: £54, Guests £59
Organiser: Bernard Lamb
Email email@example.com Tel. 0208 876 0505
Bookings are closed for this event. Please contact the organiser for last-minute places.